Today we’re celebrating:
Internationally acclaimed Mexican painter (1907 – 1954)
- Contracted polio at age six, which made her right leg shorter than her left leg.
- Channeled chronic pain from a bus accident at age 15 into painting while convalescing.
- Had planned on being a doctor until the bus accident upended her goals.
- Painted the manifestation of her reality, despite outward categorization as a surrealist.
- Kahlo’s work explores questions of identity, postcolonialism, gender, class, and race in Mexican society.
Frida Kahlo transformed trauma into non-violent power through her use of art in trauma healing, and she's become an increasingly important figure in the art world.
What do you know about Frida Kahlo? Share in the comments!